It is March! What words come to mind when you think of March? Daylight savings? Spring break? Warmer weather? For some, it is March Madness. A time when work productivity goes down and companies lose 3.8 billion dollars. Is this true? Well, it has been debunked, but it still makes me wonder. If you plan on watching the games at work, make sure your screen has the “boss button”. However, during the timeouts, check out the March Madness theme party details. The official bracket is not available until March 15th, but you better start doing your bracketology research or you will owe money in the office pool.
- Margherita Pizza: A basketball game staple, the ingredients can be chopped and prepared before the party, then assemble at half time. Watch your guests drool as this pie comes fresh out of the oven. See Menu below for recipe. Basketball Hoop: When you are done with the hoop, take it to your office to practice your free throw.
- Jerseys: Hang jerseys or black and white ref shirts with safety pins and a clothes line around the room to add a bit of decoration. You can find cheap jerseys at your local Goodwill.
- Invitations: Not needed if you are having a huge blowout, however it is fun to receive an invite in the mail. You can print a ton of ticket themed invitations for cheap.
- Noise makers: These are quite loud (and piercing when you hit the sweet spot). They will let your neighbors know you are having a party.
- Hot Dog Plate: This dish replicates the paper holders found at stadiums. Except this is a more environmentally friendly option. No waste here! Plus, the toppings won’t fall in your lap when you pile it on high.
- Basketball plates: To make the theme continue in the dishes, affordable themed plates will bring it together. If you don’t have the money, your regular dishes will work as well.
- Basketball Cupcakes: I’ve noticed I listed cupcakes for the last few posts. I don’t mean too, but they are an easy way to have single serving desserts that are theme oriented. See Menu below for recipe.
- Basketball Trading Cards: Use a thick black marker and use the cards as label your buffet table.
- Sport Banners: You can make your own banners or buy these cheap pennant flags and hang them with the jerseys. http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com
- Basketball Bowls: A DIY project that you and your mom can do together. Check the dollar store for clear plastic bowls.
This menu features basketball stadium type food. Lucky you, the bratwurst won’t be 9 dollars. Beware! The Hot chicken wing dip is so good your guests or they will try to drink it. Also, for the cupcakes, use the star tip to get the texture of the basketball.
Pita chips and guacamole dip
Hot Chicken Wing Dip with raw veggies
If you plan on watching one of the games, make sure to have ample seating for your guests. Another important thing is to have an HDTV. All the games will be broadcast in HD. This way, if your team is loosing you can make fun of the opponents really bad skin complexion.
If you are just having a themed party, take it a step further and ask your guests to dress up in theme (i.e. college fans, referees, basketball players, mascots, coaches, cheerleaders etc). Let the games begin!